Saturday, June 9, 2012

Do I have any Klout?


Do I have any Klout?
by Terrence O'Hanlon, Publisher and CEO Reliabilityweb.com and Uptime Magazine

No I do not mean clout – which is my influence in the real world.  I mean Klout  -my influence in the digital world. 

That is right, there is online influence tracking service – whether you want it or not – that tracks your influence over others.

I am not sure exactly how it knows my influence but it seems to have something to do with my use of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and my Maintenance Talk Blog.

Are they serious?  Yes.  Should you care?  Maybe. 

Admit it, we all love ranking and I will wager that more than a few of the people who read this post will visit Klout to see if they are ranked and if so – what their ranking is.

I have even read a Wired Magazine article where a person has lost a job opportunity simply because his Klout Score was too low. 

Here is what I have to say on the subject.

If you have something valuable to say and you have an audience to say it to, then you have Clout (and possibly some Klout).

If your messages are simply promoting, selling and marketing oriented, you may earn some Klout but you do not really have Clout!





1 comment:

  1. Terry O' there is no question in anyone's mind you have Clout in the real world (score of 95 within our industry). And I see on Klout you score is a 54. So there is something to say about its algorithm accuracy. (as it appears to be proportional to your reach and digital activities, compared to all industries.) Me, I'm the opposite, no clout in the real world, but more active than many in the digital. (mostly shameless promotions:>)But in the end, its just another tool, one of many. (next time you see me, please don't punch me in the face. ha ha)

    ReplyDelete